Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Great Debaters Film Review

7 out of 10
 While watching The Great Debaters, I couldn't help but feel a little intelectually bored. The Film is directed by Denzel Wahington, who also stars, and because of the fact that it was directed by an actor, causes what could have been one of the great movies of the modern age, to suffer greatly.

 I personally hate it when actors think that they can direct. Nine out of ten times an actor directs a film, it doesn't really work, and this film is no exception. During a few particular scenes, I couldn't help thinking to myself: 'Why did they settle for such an amateur  director', as I watched a series of complex camera angles, that were totally unnecessarry, and took away from the film. Along with the self indulgent camera work, is the pretty much complete lack of any symbolism throughout the entire movie. During all of the time I spent watching this movie, I sat there wondering why this director was even chosen for a film that had the potential to be great. It wasn't until I saw the ending credits that it was all explained to me. Directors don't try to act (other than Woody Allen), why do actors insist on trying to direct?

 Though I've spent the entire article complaining about the directing, so far, there are still some definitely redeeming qualities in this film. Where Washington's directing flops, his acting is spot on, along with the rest of the cast including Forest Whitaker, and his son Denzel Whitaker. With the spot on cast is a great script, based on a very interesting and entertaining story about a African American debate team from the deep South during the days of the Jim Crowe laws. A majority of the subject matter is obviously racism in the South, and I found the handling of it very well done. This movie could have very easily gotten preachy about the evils of the white man, but it didn't and I definitely give it points for that.

 This film is incredibly flawed, but along with many weaknesses are also many strengths. Where the directing suffers, the writing and acting are great, and the story definitely kept me entertained while I was sitting there wondering why the director was so amateurish. I give this film a 7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment